The core of recruiting is all about building relationships between people. Most people get into this line of work because they’re excited by the possibility of connecting people to jobs they love. Unfortunately, the way the industry has developed today has led to many inefficient processes.
Just look at a few stats about the average job that’s listed on a corporate website and you can see the problem. The average job listing attracts 250 applicants, of which 4–6 will be interviewed. That means that at best, 2.5% of the résumés received by an employer will pass a recruiter’s initial screening. But recruiters still need to wade through the other 97.5%.
Employers are aware of this problem—23% of recruiters say the barrier to identifying quality talent is “too many unqualified junk résumés from job boards.” This leads them to turn to sourcing and identifying passive candidates who have exactly the skills they’re searching for. On the HR Bartender blog, Sharlyn Lauby writes, “Now, being able to find qualified candidates fast is a priority.”
There are a few ways recruiters can use technology like Uncommon to help expedite the process of sourcing and identifying qualified candidates. Let’s explore each of them.
Better than building a Boolean search string
When looking to identify promising passive candidates, most recruiters begin with a Boolean search string. If you’ve done this before, you know it involves starting with a foundation and continuing to refine it until you’ve identified profiles that meet your criteria. The trouble with this approach is that it takes a hefty chunk of time to set up and refine your search string.
In fact, a Sourcecon competition recently pitted recruiters against AI technology—and the results were pretty eye-opening. It look the human sourcers (and these are people who are at the top of their field) from 4 to 25 hours to research and submit their entries, and it took Brilent technology 3.2 seconds to deliver its results. Sharing his impression of the results, Jim Stroud, Randstad Sourceright’s Global Head of Sourcing and Recruiting Strategy, said, “Brilent competed well against some of the best sourcers in the world, and it only took a few seconds to do so.”
One of the benefits of using an AI tool like Uncommon instead of a Boolean search string is that it can take any job description and automatically extract your requirements. This gives you a level of detail and targeting you can’t achieve with Boolean. Plus, within seconds, it can compare those requirements to our database of 100 million candidates.
More rapid—and accurate—résumé review
You’ve probably seen the stat that the recruiters spend an average of 6 seconds scanning each résumé. And it’s not surprising, given the sheer volume of applications they get for each open role.
But the problem with this approach is that it doesn’t really benefit anyone. Recruiters feel pressure to move as quickly as possible and, because they’re human, they’re susceptible to bias and making mistakes. Studies have shown, for example, that applicants are often discriminated against in the application review process when their names sound more typically African-American, even this has nothing to do with their qualifications or ability to do the job. And, of course, because this type of bias is often unconscious, recruiters don’t even realize that they’re discounting potentially qualified candidates in this way.
Due to these flaws in human judgment, employers risk skipping over qualified candidates and accidentally passing unqualified candidates to the next stage, where they’ll take up additional time and resources. This burdens hiring managers and their teams to use precious work hours interviewing people who don’t meet their qualifications for the role. It also creates a sub-par candidate experience, building up expectations for people who aren’t likely to be hired and passing over qualified candidates who get lost in the shuffle.
An AI tool like Uncommon can accurately process résumés in seconds, eliminating the hours or even days it would take a human recruiter to do this task. At the same time, recruiters always have the ability to see the criteria that Uncommon is using and make adjustments so they can define exactly what a qualified candidate is for the particular role they’re searching for.
At its core, recruiting will always be about connecting people. But technology can help by automating some of the more time-consuming and manual aspects of the job. Think of how many more meaningful conversations you can have with qualified candidates if you didn’t have to spend hours every day building Boolean searches or sorting through résumés!
If you’d like to learn more about how Uncommon can help you supercharge your sourcing, get in touch.